I had the pleasure of interviewing Charles Leveillee, founder of newApps Agency, a white hat SEO agency, and white label SEO reseller company headquarters in Denver, Colorado. Charles’ agency partners with business owners to develop and execute highly customized digital marketing programs focused on white hat SEO, Local SEO, National SEO, eCommerce SEO, and white label SEO.
Thank you so much for joining us! Can you tell us a story about what brought you to this specific career path?
My SEO career path began in 2006 through my eCommerce company which sold medical aesthetic devices and solutions in North America, Europe, and Australia. I realized we had a need to dominate our competition online and SEO became the most successful strategy.
Can you share the most interesting story that happened to you since you started your company?
I worked with a cannabis client based in Canada that was a startup but was starting to get some traction in the marketplace. I was part of a greater team whose goal was to make the company a more nationally-known brand and a leader in supplying cannabis supplements for pets and animals. I was able to rank them on the first page for specific animals that their competition was not tapping into. The SEO rankings combined with more traditional marketing enabled the company to be acquired by a major player in the Canadian cannabis industry.
Can you share a story about the funniest mistake you made when you were first starting? Can you tell us what lesson you learned from that?
I wouldn’t call this example a mistake but it definitely is funny and ultimately became a success. I have a garage door client who focused on commercial and residential clients. I proposed that the client expand to another niche, agricultural clients who may need doors for barns and storage facilities. The main strategy was email marketing and keywords with agricultural terms. For the email marketing, I proposed using a GIF with Godzilla menacingly approaching a farm storage facility. We embedded the GIF in the email and it was a huge success. My client now dominates that niche and his agricultural client base is constantly growing.
What do you think makes your company stand out? Can you share a story?
All our services are custom-tailored to each client, depending on needs and budget. We don’t have set packages. We exclusively follow and implement Google SEO best practices. I currently have a client who utilizes my white label SEO services and our services are completely custom for each of his clients.
Which tips would you recommend to your colleagues in your industry to help them to thrive and not “burn out”?
To avoid burnout, it is critical to create and implement processes, templates, and procedures. These will allow you to save time and avoid stress, particularly for tasks and strategies that are utilized across multiple clients.
None of us are able to achieve success without some help along the way. Is there a particular person who you are grateful towards who helped get you to where you are? Can you share a story?
My uncle has always been a great mentor and supporter of my entrepreneurial goals and career. He himself is a successful graphic designer who has always worked for himself and ran his own business. He has always been there to not only help guide me but open my mind to new ideas and avenues.
How have you used your success to bring goodness to the world?
I have helped small businesses to be found on the map and establish themselves in the online world. It has been rewarding to see them grow and expand.
Do you have a favorite “Life Lesson Quote”? Can you share a story of how that was relevant to you in your life?
“The best way to predict the future is to create it.” This is relevant to my life every single day. We have to take action to see results. Every day I set goals short-term and long-term and I take small and big actions to accomplish them.
What are your “5 things I wish someone told me before I started my company” and why? Please share a story or example for each.
- Try to focus on a niche in your service. Before I started focusing on white label and white hat SEO, I was offering multiple services. Once I started focusing just on white label and white hat SEO, my clients’ strategies and goals became more focused and successful.
- Implement a Discovery Call with your prospective clients instead of going straight to the proposal. Prior to implementing this tactic, I lost a lot of time presenting proposals to clients without having a complete understanding of their goals and needs. Now our Discovery calls layout the the framework of their goals and I can present a very focused and custom proposal.
- Use layman terms in proposals and focus on solutions. If the prospect doesn’t understand your services, they won’t become a client. I realized my proposals were too long and technical. Once I explained everything in simple terms and focused on how these were solutions to the clients’ problems, my prospects converted to long-term clients.
- Consolidate marketing tools. I used to utilize many marketing tools which made it cumbersome, timely and costly. Once I consolidated my tools into just a couple, it saved not only money but time.
- Turn down clients that aren’t a fit. This goes back to the Discovery Call. If you realize in a Discovery Call that the client is not a fit because of unrealistic goals and expectations or budget, turn them down. I used to want to work with anyone who would seek out my service. Now I focus on finding the right fit and building the relationship. This will allows me to have time to focus on clients who are on the same page.
You are a person of great influence. If you could start a movement that would bring the most amount of good to the most amount of people, what would that be? You never know what your idea can trigger. 🙂
I would start a movement that focused on the positive mindset. So often people just have to change their mindset and look at failures as something of the past that we learn and ultimately move on from. The glass half full mindset would be beneficial to so many people. I would love to share this mindset and skill with more people so they can build their future and accomplishments.
How can our readers follow you on social media?
Absolutely, I will be happy to connect with new people. I am active on LinkedIn (https://www.linkedin.com/in/charles-leveillee) and always try to respond ASAP.
This was very inspiring. Thank you so much for joining us!